Home

Sunday 14 December 2014

"I don't even clean my makeup brushes"


I was standing at the traffic lights the other day when three teenage girls (I think about year 9 or 10) were behind me talking about makeup, naturally I was earsdropping and heard one of the girls ask "what do you wash your makeup brushes with", the other girl responded "i don't even clean my makeup brushes". I wanted to turn around and tell her how bad that was but I restrained myself…this time.

Every week I set aside some time (ideally on a sunny day), to wash all my make up brushes. It is so important to wash your brushes as they collect so much bacteria…just think, everyday you put the same brush onto your face even when you have a blemish and the  into the water as this may cause the brushes to rot or break.  from the blemish then transfers onto the make up brush. Daily you are putting this brush back onto your face.. YUK
I don't use ALL my make up brushes every week but I still think it is important to wash them all because as they sit in my glass holders they collect dust etc which isn't pleasant. 
SO HOW DO YOU WASH THEM?

DO NOT:
Fully submerged the brush handle into water as this may cause it to rot or break/split. Not idea if you have spent a decent amount on brushes.
Scrub them so hard that it looks damaging to the bristles.
Dry them with a hairdryer, this will RUIN the bristles and in some cases cause them to catch fire.

DO:
Have a good shampoo or brush cleaner on hand, such as Mac brush cleaner ($22), Napoleon Perdis brush cleaner ($40), DAISO brush cleaner ($2.80). 
I like to use a silicon patterned matt (mine was $2 from K-Mart in the cooking isle) which I put warm water and some of the shampoo/brush cleaner onto. Once all the product is on the matt I then dampen my brush' bristles under warm water and swirl around on the matt, This method is highly effective and I wish I had used a matt sooner as so much more waste (foundation, powder, eyeshadow etc) comes out of the brushes. Once washed I place protective mesh over the bristles as this keeps them in their original form. http://www.ebay.com/itm/30pcs-Cosmetic-Makeup-Brush-Pen-Guards-Cover-Mesh-Protectors-Brand-New-in-Bag-/161333003512?pt=AU_Makeup&hash=item25903244f8 
I then place my brushes in a well ventilated room, or ideally outside (not near any animals who will chew them). If placed outside the brushes will dry in an hour or so, but if inside it may take over night or longer. 

I have found that this matt from Kmart has worked wonders for my brushes as i could never get them back to their original white colour, they always looked stained with foundation. With once use of the matt it was back to white… I was so happy- How lame.
I wouldn't bother purchasing the Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glow which is $35 (http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Sigma_Spa_Brush_Cleaning_Glove_p/bc001.htm) you save $33! 


VICBYRNEBEAUTY

No comments:

Post a Comment