Home

Friday 12 December 2014

CONTOUR// CREAM VS POWDER?



DO YOU CONTOUR? 
Is it cream or powder? 
What do you use? 
How do you know what to do?

Contouring is the art of shading and highlighting to bring out or lessen features on the face, jaw, and bust area. 
For each specific face shape there is specific way to contour and highlight, but obviously you don't have to follow these. I personally contour under my cheekbones with my Nars Laugna bronzer or Too Faced Chocolate De solei,dusting lightly on either sides of my forehead, then on my jaw bone and under my chin which makes the jaw bone look sharper.. especially for us girls out there who think we have double chins… I feel it. 
I think highlight on top of my cheekbones, the middle of my nose, and my cupids bow with my The Balm Mary-Lou Manizer Luminizer. 
ALTHOUGH according to my 'face shape', which is round, I should only be contouring the sides of jaw and the lower sides of my face and highlighting the centre of my chin only.. This doesn't work for the look I go for when I apply my daily make up. 

Here is a list of Face shapes and how Beauty Schools teach you to contour and highlight:
(questionable in my opinion)
OVAL- Highlight about the cheekbones, Contour below the cheekbones
HEART- Highlight sides of the jaw, Contour the sides of the forehead
SQUARE- Highlight above the cheekbones, Contour the sides of forehead and the lower jaw
ROUND- Highlight the centre of the chin, Contour the sides of jaw and lower part of the face
LONG- Highlight above the cheekbones, Contour alone the hairline and chin
DIAMOND- Highlight the sizes of temples and sides of lower jaw, Contour the tip of the chin and narrow part of the forehead
PEAR- Highlight sides of forehead, Contour sides of chin and angles of lower jaw



Contouring should be done to how each individual desires it as we all have different parts of our face we want to lessen or bring out. You always need to remember to blend though, as lets be honest a straight line of bronzer underneath your cheekbone isn't going to look very natural. Blending the product in will soften the effect but create a more natural finish.

SO,
POWDER OR CREAM?
In general, powders are easiest to blend, creams are highest coverage, and liquids have the highest staying power.
In my experience it is easier to use a powder product, but for certain occasions it works well to use a cream. I am yet to own an liquid contour products if anyone could suggest any in the comments below.



HELPFUL CONTOURING AND HIGHLIGHTING VIDEOS:

CARLI BYBEL:

JACLYN HILL:

NICOLE GUERRIERO:

GLAMBOOTH:


VICBYRNEBEAUTY

No comments:

Post a Comment